Since the time I have had custard, I have loved it, specially Mum’s version with caramelized sugar.The sticky sugary brown base and the custard over it..Yumm… Mom once over-did the Nutmeg and i have hated Nutmeg since…Hence I do my Custard recipes without nutmeg in them. Custard makes entry into our homes in different ways..with jelly, with cake and even with fruits!
When Sally of Mycustardpie decided to host a monthly mingle, I couldn’t help but try something new with our favourite custard!I remember reading her blog’s name and wanting it for myself!!! For the love of custard!
I got this recipe from the internet, and it turned out quite well. My pie tin was not deep enough and I am sure I will buy a new one just to make this Pie again!
Here’s the recipe!
Grandma’s Egg Custard Pie from All recipes!
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust(I used a frozen one)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg white
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg(I avoided this!)
- 3 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees
- Mix together eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla. Stir well. Blend in the milk. For more yellow color, add few drops yellow food coloring.I have not added colour, but added an extra yolk from the brushing egg white!
- Line pie pan with pastry, and brush inside bottom and sides of shell with egg white to help prevent a soggy crust. Pour custard mixture into piecrust. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on rack.
- Cut to slices and serve with whipped cream or ice cream! Yuumeyyy
I have to honest when I say the lighting in my new house is not the best! I need to improve my skills and definitely need to get better equipment! I was quite happy with the result..I have NEVER baked a pie before so when the crust was perfect and the custard was firm I was surprised.. This is a good recipe for all first time PIE bakers!!!
Here’s to more CUSTARD!